Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Travels of the Diva and the Kat - Off to the Vinoy

All year, my niece has talked to me about a trip she was taking me on to Florida. Sometimes I remembered and sometimes I forgot. It had been so long since I traveled, I couldn't even muster up any excitement about it. But the time has finally come and we were off in the middle of the night on the super shuttle dashing to the Baltimore Washington Airport to catch one of the first flights of the day.

It had been smoldering in Washington and everything in nature was tossing green stuff everywhere. Breathing had become a struggle for those with allergies and those that were just developing allergies. Folks were threatening to pull their eyeballs out of their sockets or to rip their noses off their face to stop the sinus drip. I was armed with medication up the kazoo. Yet, as we traveled on this night, I was wearing a jacket to keep away the chill brought about by the sudden 20 degree drop in temperature.

Arriving at the airport, my gazelle looking neice emerged from the van, looking like she'd just stepped out of a fashion shoot, tossing her Louis Vittion bags to the anxious skycap that appeared out of nowhere. I, on the other hand, was trying to figure out how to get off the van with my short legs without asking for a stepladder. Of course, when my 'departures' rolling bag came off the van, I was standing there alone with no fawning attendant. Hmmm......it was going to be a long trip travelling with a DIVA that I loved.

Two plane rides later, we arrived in the state of Florida and could feel the sunshine in the terminal. As we entered the baggage area, a beautiful man with a headful of dreads approached her with a broad smile with his arms outstretched. This was Mr. Pierre, her preferred driver; a haitian born, new yorker relocated to Tampa, who had a ready smile, a baritone carribean accented voice with a caring personality that caused us to relax immediately and allow him to handle everything.

Not only was Mr.Pierre beautiful, so was his car.



I could feel the strain and tension of life slipping away as we drove onto the freeway and the Tampa Bay came into view. What a beautiful sight it is -blue clear water almost as far as your eye can see; Sailboats, muscle boats and yachts dotting the waterway; Palm trees lining the walkways; Beautiful flowering purple trees dotting the scenic view; and, you can almost imagine a lovely fragrance in the air.

As we're being whisked away to the hotel, I'm thinking - Marriott has some lovely hotels; different levels. I know that wherever we're going, it will be fine, relaxing, enjoyable, comfortable. And then, she lowers her tortoise shell Chanel sunglasses down to the bridge of her nose and points into the distance. "Look there. See it. There's the hotel. We have bay view rooms. Can you see it?"


THE RENAISSANCE VINOY


Oh joy of joys!!! Travelling with the Diva definitely is looking like a good thing. Welcome to St. Petersburg. Here we come !!





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Scratch Back!